|ANNOUNCING THE BABFICATHON SPRING 2006!!
||[Feb. 7th, 2006|11:08 pm]
The Great LJ Babylon 5 Ficathon
Babylon 5 Ficathon 2006, Spring Edition: Going Wild!
For those who don't know how this works, a Ficathon is basically as follows (some of the rules have been altered to hopefully make it simpler since last time):
You leave a comment below with your requests for fics you'd like to see, and all the fics you'd be willing to write. (Or, if you don't have an lj/don't want to create one/any other reason, send an email to ficathon [at] namingrainbows [dot] net.)
After sign-ups close, your friendly neighbourhood mods (being leyenn and waterdaughter) match your requests up to someone else who wants to write it, and you up with someone else who wants what you'll write, and so on around the circle. You pick one of the requests you're assigned and write it within the time limit.
No one's going to complain if you're so inspired by your assignment that you want to write more than one of your requests, but you are only required to write one.
Now, on to the particulars...
The theme of this year's Spring Edition of the babficathon is GOING WILD!
This is your chance to request, and to write, anything in the Babylon 5 Universe. Your chance to fill in those gaps in canon you always knew needed to be filled, or perhaps request that AU you always thought would work so well? That perfect pairing (threesome? foursome? lonely character on their own, neglected and unloved?) you just cannot find good fic for, or any fic at all? Fix that episode, kill this character, find out what would have happened if... whatever! Around here, crazy is good! Inspired is even better!
- You may make up to six requests. You do not have to make six, but the more requests you make, the better chance we stand of matching you successfully.
- Of your six requests, at least three should be from the Specified List below. This is to give you a head-start on thinking up requests, and equally a head-start on what you might be asked to/not want to write. The list is drawn up based on three things: Overall popularity within the fandom; Current activity within the fandom; and finally, anything else the mods thought should be on there. ;)
- A further three of your requests can be Wild. This means exactly that - anything goes, but make it something you honestly think is writeable! Seriously outlandish stuff is fun to request, but you may not stand a high chance of getting it filled. On the other hand, if that doesn't bother you, or you're fairly sure someone can fulfill the request, then go for it!
- All requests must contain at least one character for the writer to work with. We would also expect requests to contain a pairing or further selection of characters - it is your choice whether to request romantic or friendship fic for those characters. For example, you can request Sinclair/Garibaldi, but specify that you'd like friendship fic only. Equally, you can request Londo/G'Kar/Na'Toth and specify that you'd like some hot'n'heavy action, please thank you ma'am.
Please try not to be over-specific in your requests. Leave your author room to play! For example, 'I want to see what would have happened with Delenn if Sheridan had been Valen' is a fine request; 'Please write me 972 words of NC-17 in which Londo ties Lennier to his bed and introduces him to the art of Centauri lovin' using only three tentacles, an ice cube and sixteen poker chips' is getting a little too specific, not to mention a little too wtf?! Be reasonable. Don't request ratings, unless it's to say 'nothing above R for this pairing' or the like. Let the author (and the characters) work out how graphic they're comfortable getting with your OTP of choice.
- Please make sure you list everything you will and won't write in your sign up. This goes for specific characters, pairings and any other general squicks or problems such as extreme AUs, non-con, threesomes, poking G'Kar in the eye... whatever. This will make it easier on us to assign you to someone, and easier for you when you receive your own assignment.
- (Almost) finally, entries should be at least 1000 words and posted in the babficathon community by the deadline.
- If you do not have an lj, you can email the story to ficathon [at] namingrainbows [dot] net and one of the mods will post it for you (we don't anticipate too many of these, please!). You are free to post your finished story wherever else you like, but you must post in babficathon as well.
- (Finally), if you are going to have to drop out, at any point, please, please email to the ficathon address or leave a comment here. We know that last time there were some fics which were never posted, and we hope to ensure that this does not happen this time. The only way we can do this is by knowing in advance if anyone is not going to turn in a story by the allotted time so that we can assign a pinch-hitter. Please note, however, that this is not school - a ficathon should be fun, first and foremost, and if you have a good reason for needing an extension on the deadline, let us know.
(P.S. we can be bribed with good-quality chocolate or herbal tea. ;)
Sign-ups run from now until the end of TUESDAY FEBRUARY 28th 2006.
Assignments will be emailed out IN SECRET by the end of SUNDAY MARCH 5th 2006.
Stories will be due by the end of MONDAY JUNE 5th 2006.
To enter, all you have to do is leave a comment with the following form:
Name: [your preferred pen-name]
LJ: [your lj name, if you have one]
Email: [a working email address that you check regularly, since this is where your assignment will be sent]
Request 1: [from the Specified List below]
Request 2: [from the Specified List below]
Request 3: [from the Specified List below]
Request 4: [anything]
Request 5: [anything]
Request 6: [anything]
Squicks: [anything you absolutely do not want to write, be it pairings, characters or general no-no's]
Yays: [anything you will write, be that pairings, characters, ratings, or general yes-yes's!]
Pinch-hit? [could you possibly write a back-up fic on short notice if necessary? please note that due to the nature of pinch-hitting, back-up fics may require your Squicks and Yays to be a bit flexible]
( The Specified List:Collapse )
(Hopefully everyone can find at least three requests from that little list - remember that you can pick a pairing from the above and request a non-romantic fic.)
An example entry to give you the gist:
Email: Leyenn [at] gmail [dot] com
Request 1: David/Dulann (tLotR), something pre-slashy
Request 2: Ivanova/Talia, if the Minbari won the War, anything up to NC-17
Request 3: Delenn/Marcus, a meeting in the Zen Garden, romance or friendship, any rating
Request 4: Rabbi Koslov, sometime during the Earth Civil War
Request 5: Londo/Delenn, if they were both passed over for assignment to B5
Request 6: Marcus/Garibaldi/Lennier - they all want what they can't have, whether it's drink or women - romance, but any rating
Squicks: Bester, Byron, Lochley. G'Kar/Vir, Gideon/Lochley. Prefer not to write Centauri hetfic but will give it a go. No non-con.
Yays: Ivanova, Talia, Delenn, Sheridan, any permutations of the main or recurring cast is fine. Will write G through NC-17, threesomes etc.
Very, very finally, feel free to PIMP THE FICATHON! More entrants means more fic, and more chance of good match-ups. Nudge your friends! Poke your list-mates! Advertise! Go, fly, be free!
Oh but wait, make sure you leave your comment first... ;)